Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Dad's Hidden Talent

Last Saturday I had planned to get Davis a much needed haircut. We were in Logan for Abril's baby shower and Grandma was going to cut Davis' hair afterward. It needed to be done so bad, but we waited because Grandma does better than anyone else we've had do it. After the shower we waited for Spence, Jared, and Adam to re-appear with the kids. When they returned from their afternoon of fun, Grandma was taking her neighbor to the hospital. Because we had to get home for the Relief Society broadcast (for me to attend and Spence to clean up from the dinner), we weren't able to fit in a haircut. I didn't think it was a big deal - I could take him somewhere on Monday.

We got home late enough that I had missed the dinner and we all had to rush to the church. I didn't give the haircut another thought. When I returned from the broadcast, the kids were in bed. It was a little earlier than normal, but they hadn't had great naps, so it made sense. Sunday morning I went downstairs to make breakfast for the babies and Spence was bringing them downstairs. He came down with Blair first and put her in the highchair. When I asked why he didn't have them both, he made a little bit of a funny face and went to get Davis.

Spence put Davis in his highchair and didn't say a word to me. Davis looked a little different. What!!??? He had gotten a haircut the night before. While I was at Relief Society, not worrying about what was happening at home, Spence was cutting Davis' hair. Once I realized what had happened, I wasn't the most thrilled mom. Spence, however, was very pleased with his work. He told me it didn't look so great right then because Davis had just gotten up and it needed to get a little gel in it. After I got over the shock of Spence actually doing what he always joked about doing, I realized it wasn't a bad haircut after all. He did a pretty good job. He said he has watched him mom cut hair a million times and learned her technique and he practiced by cutting his own hair on his mission - that was way easier than cutting Davis' hair.

He used the clippers on the sides while Davis sat in the highchair and then used scissors to do the top. Not just any scissors though, he didn't know where the good ones were. He used kitchen shears. Oh yes. To do this, he had to hold Davis down on the floor with his legs and try to keep his head still. It sounds like it was quite the production and I am a little amazed at the result. Davis' hair looks pretty good and there was no trace of anything unusual when I got home from Relief Society. Good job Dad, but we'll still go with Grandma next time.

4 comments:

amy + jeff said...

This post made me laugh out loud!

A Erickson said...

That is so Spence! How funny! Good thing you weren't home-but I have to say it doesn't look half bad. Ha!

Terry Family said...

Good job Spencer, what a cute little story. I found myself with a big smile on my face while reading this post.

the Eggett's said...

Ha! Wow, Spence is brave! He did do a good job though, if I do say so myself.