Monday, October 13, 2008

Sick Days

This is kind of a random post, but I'm going to make this blog into a book and I thought this was a crazy memory so I wanted to write it down.

A couple of weeks ago, the babies and I were staying at my parent's house because Spence was working tons of hours to meet the tax extension deadline. On Wednesday night at about 1am Davis woke up throwing up. The poor little guy was covered in it, and so was his bed. I called for my mom to come help me get him cleaned up. She came and we got everything taken care of and started a load of laundry with his PJ's and blankets. For the next few minutes, I held Davis on the couch and cuddled him up as he continued to throw up. He had settled down a bit and I started to feel queasy myself. I asked my mom to hold him while I ran to throw up myself, but on the way to the bathroom, I saw Blair sit up in her bed and start throwing up. All of us were sick and it hit us all within one hour. What a mess. My parents were both helping clean things up and take care of the babies. After we got everyone settled and clean and only throwing up every half hour, my dad took Davis downstairs and my mom had Blair in bed with her. I went and tried to get to sleep in my own bed. It was a long night for everyone as we all threw up pretty often and my mom did four loads of laundry.

The next morning, my mom headed off to work with only about an hour of sleep and my dad cleared his schedule so he could stay home and take care of the kids for me. I think it was a pretty long day for him. I wasn't much help at all. I hadn't kept anything down and didn't even have enough energy to carry the kids up and down the stairs. In the late afternoon, the babies started doing better, but I still didn't feel good at all. We all went to bed early and felt much better in the morning.

As you can see from the picture below, it was difficult to keep clean clothes on the kids. Blair isn't in matching PJ's and Davis only has on a new t-shirt that we bought him the day before. We were glad to have the help of my parents. Even if we were home, there would have been no way for Spence to miss a whole day of work. I was also pretty glad we weren't home because I didn't want Spence to get sick. We came home to him Friday feeling much better, however, Monday morning he woke up with the flu. He had to stay home from work and work tons of extra hours later to make up for it. Overall, it was a crazy week and I hope I'm not sick at the same time as my kids again. It was, however, nice to have them both get over it in one day and not drag it out.


8 comments:

Allie and Fam said...

SAD!! I'm glad you had help there. Even when they're sick, they are still so cute!

Unknown said...

At least you were with your parents, being sick without your mom totally stinks!

Chandler Family said...

Wow Britt you are one good sport! Can you tell me how you are making your blog into a book? I have been wanting to do that because it's easy geneology. Anyway would you send me an email or something and share your brilliance? angchandler@gmail.com Thanks! We love you guys!

Emily Rose said...

Jan told me about your craziness. Such a bummer, nothing is worse than sick kids. I've noticed that the real good illnesses hit when dad is nowhere to be seen. I'm sure they wish they could help but that's because they don't know how horrible it can be. :) Glad you're all doing better.

A Erickson said...

Man-it is so hard being sick all at the same time! You are supermom though and it is great you had your parents to help. Glad you are all better!

Arizona Nielsens said...

It seems like at least 3 out of 4 of us get sick when the flu visits our house. How nice to have your family close to help out!

Lindsay Cutler said...

Man, I am so sorry you were ALL sick!!! There is nothing worse than throwing up. :-( I hope you are feeling better and the babies too!! I am happy I stumbled across your blog! it is darling!

Lindsay Cutler said...

Man, I am so sorry you were ALL sick!!! There is nothing worse than throwing up. :-( I hope you are feeling better and the babies too!! I am happy I stumbled across your blog! it is darling!