Sunday, February 21, 2010

Christmas

Christmas was so much fun this year. The kids loved checking out Christmas lights, singing Christmas songs over and over and over and over, talking about Santa, playing with the Little People Nativity set at Grandpa and Grandma Davis' house, and everything else that goes along with Christmas. The time leading up to Christmas was so fun because we did something Christmas related a few times each week when Spence got home from work.
Christmas Eve was spent at Grandma and Grandpa Davis' house and Christmas Day was at our house. We went to Grandma and Grandpa Erickson's house the day after Christmas for a while before heading over to Grandma and Grandpa Olsen's house. After that, we went back to the Erickson's house to spend the night and go to church with them the next day. We love getting together with everyone and having fun and visiting. We're so lucky to have such wonderful families.
Christmas morning was actually pretty relaxing. The kids didn't know it was Christmas so they slept until about 7:45 like they normally do and then we came downstairs for breakfast. Our tree was two floors down so they hadn't realized that Santa had come yet. My parents and Morgan came over for breakfast and after we had eaten and visited we went downstairs for presents at around 10am.
When we told the kids that Santa had come and we could go downstairs and see what he brought, Blair freaked out. She thought Santa was at our house and she cried and refused to go downstairs. Once she understood that he had come and gone, she was fine to go down. Davis, on the other hand, was disappointed that Santa didn't stay.
Both kids got too many fun things. Blair got a cradle and highchair that was mine when I was little that Spence refinished (Thanks Honey! You did a great job!). She got a couple of baby quilts that I made her - Yes, you heard that right. I made them. This was my first sewing project of my life (Other than the one month they made us sew an apron in junior high; I didn't even sew that, the boy next to me did most of it.) and anyone who knows me well can attest to the fact that I never have been crafty. Blair also got a bunch of dress up stuff which she absolutely loves.
Davis got a tool bench and cars and the coolest dinosaur ever. We thought the dinosaur would be the highlight of Christmas so we saved it for last. When he opened it and turned it on, both kids started crying. They were so afraid of the dinosaur they wanted nothing to do with him. Spence finally convinced Davis that the dinosaur was nice, but Blair didn't believe it for a minute. All day long, she stayed far away from the dinosaur. When he would Roar and start to walk near her new stuff, she would grab her toys and run away. It was actually pretty funny. Even now, she has to remind herself that the dinosaur is nice.
Both kids got backpacks to hold their loot and movies and books. Blair was more into playing with her stuff and Davis wanted to open everything in sight. It took all of our effort to keep him away from the present we were giving to people over the next couple of days.
Spence got the Kindle he had been drooling over forever and I got the coolest present ever. My Dad and Spence got together and decided to send me and my mom to New York City and get us tickets to Wicked! Yea! I opened my present on Christmas Eve so it would be a surprise before my mom opened her stuff and I couldn't have been happier. We left the Monday morning after Christmas and stayed until Friday. That trip will be a post of its own.
The rest of Christmas day we just spent hanging out and visiting my family. The kids loved all the new toys, but they were driving us all crazy because there were too many things for our little house. Spence took care of the problem while I was in New York. He rearranged our play room and built a new toy box. What a great dad.
Overall Christmas was a hit and the kids continue to sing Christmas songs two months later. I absolutely love this age!

















3 comments:

Arizona Nielsens said...

Oh Brittney, I'm always so happy when I see how much fun you're having with your kids. Your blankets are adorable and the twins look just as happy as could possibly be. I just wish we lived closer to hang out sometime...

(For your blog book's sake, did you know you can change the date of your posts so that they post in chronological order?)

bmarie said...

LOVE the shirt Spence...do you get a special bonus for wearing that on your blog?

A Erickson said...

Fun Fun...your blankets turned out darling. Sam & Al are also still singing christmas songs...much to Jared's dismay.