Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Tiny Tot Soccer

We just finished up Tiny Tot Soccer with Davis and Blair. Clearfield has so many fun recreation programs. Last spring, we signed both kids up for Smart Start Soccer and they loved it. Smart Start Soccer is where they go just to learn the basics of the sport. They had a fabulous coach and loved every minute of it- until the game. Blair hated the game and thought that everyone was being mean because they weren't sharing the ball. Davis loved plowing through people to steal the ball away, but Blair vowed soccer was off her list of things she liked to do.

I saw a flyer for 3 on 3 soccer for 3 and 4 year olds, so I signed up Davis, but Blair said she wanted nothing to do with it. Davis was so pumped he couldn't stand himself. Every day he asked how much longer it was until soccer started and when we were going to get shin guards and cleats. We got him all the gear he needed and waited to hear from the city, but nothing came. Finally, they sent out an email saying they didn't have enough coaches and they needed more volunteers. I asked Spence, but he was going to be out of town for a few games, so he said he couldn't do it. A week or so later, I got a call from the lady in charge of soccer saying they were going to have to cancel it if they didn't get more coaches. I couldn't tell Davis there was no soccer, so I said I'd do it. Yes people, I was the soccer coach. I can just picture my friend Suzy laughing her guts out at the thought of me being the soccer coach even for 3 and 4 year olds.

I didn't really know what to do, but they gave me a book and I did some of the same things the kids learned in Smart Start Soccer. We weren't that awesome of a team, but it turns out only two of the six kids on my team even cared to follow the ball or try to kick it. The others didn't even run half of the time- Davis and Blair included. (Blair singed up when she found out I was going to be the coach and there was an open spot on my team.) It was one of the most frustrating things I've ever done, but the kids seemed to have a good time and now I've done my duty as a coach. It's not my turn next time...



No comments: